Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Life of Style: All About 2008


Wow, December 31st, 2008 and 2009 is just hours away. While I was at the hair salon today, I had plenty of time to think about my year while I was under the dryer for two hours. 2008 was truly the year of change. I FINALLY ended a long term relationship with a 35 year old boy. I loved him deeply but could no longer sacrifice my happiness in a relationship that just wasn't working. Sometimes love is not enough and holding onto someone out of fear of being alone is never the answer. So hopefully, Mr. Oh So Right is waiting for me in 2009 =)

My friends will tell you that I rarely relax and chill out. My time off came in the form of eight weeks of medical leave after I had a myomectomy this spring. I didn't go back to work until the middle of July. During my time off, I journaled, prayed, and slept so peacefully. I faced the harsh truths that my job was draining me, my relationship was crippling me and I had no idea who Kim was, or what made Kim happy.

Earlier this month, God put me on the path to living my dreams. He knew that I would not make a move on my own so he made a move for me. The day I learned my position was phased out, I had an almost unreal calmness in my spirit that let me know I was going to be okay.

Blogging for me started as a way to just have something fun to do, I never thought of the great opportunities it would bring or the people I would meet. I talk to my blog buddies almost as much as I talk to my local friends. There are some creative and fabulous blogs out there written by some very talented people. I'm glad that my little blog has been deemed worthy and accepted by beauty and fashion experts ;) Here's to A Life of Style going to the next level in 2009! The sky's the limit.

The ultimate change in 2008 was the election of the first African-American President. I was on the Barack Obama train from day one. I've never been so wrapped up in a political race in my entire voting life. I wanted the Obama-Biden ticket to win so badly, that I volunteered every chance I got. I registered voters, made calls, canvassed in Indiana, and passed out campaign literature. During my volunteer work, I found a new style icon in First Lady Michelle Obama aka "Renaissance" (even her code name is sophisticated). As a black woman, I couldn't be more proud of the first family. This is history and thankfully I am alive to see it and tell my future children.

I'm blessed to have my health, good friends, a supportive family, and a place to call home. With my 2009 goals jotted in my journal and a renewed sense of purpose I can start the new year on the right foot. I love the woman I'm becoming and can't wait to see what this year has for me.


Happy New Year Everyone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment